Health Canada is letting us know that RW Consumer Products Ltd. is recalling multiple gripe water products after a microbial contamination was discovered. The products, ‘Gripe Water – Alcohol and Preservative Free,’ have been sold under various brand names across Canada. They are labelled as a ‘gentle antacid for quick relief of baby’s minor stomach upsets such as colic, cramps, gas, sour stomach, and hiccups especially during teething.’
The recalled “Gripe Water – Alcohol And Preservative Free” products are labelled with the Natural Product Number (NPN) 80080669 and are sold under the following brand names:
- Baby’s Choice
- Be Better
- Life Brand
- Teddy’s Choice
- Western Family
Health Canada says infants who are given these products may be at risk for developing an microbial infection. Symptoms of a microbial infection include vomiting, watery diarrhea, fever and abdominal pain.
Health Canada says anyone who has purchased this product with the label code ‘NPN 80080669’ is being asked to follow this advice:
- Stop giving this product to your baby.
- Consult with your health care professional if your baby has used this product and you have concerns about their health. Symptoms of a microbial infection in infants may include vomiting and watery diarrhea, fever and abdominal pain.
- Return any unused product to the place of purchase.
- Contact RW Consumer Products Ltd. at 204-786-6873 if you have questions about the recall.
- Report any health product adverse events or complaints to Health Canada.
Health Canada will monitor the company’s recall and inform Canadians if new safety information becomes available. For more information, go to healthycanadians.gc.ca.
Image from jencu on Flikr.