Fans of the television show Gilmore Girls might have a nasty surprise if they’ve been looking up one of their stars online. McAfee has released the annual list of ‘Most Dangerous Celebrities.’ The list is based on internet searches that can lead users to websites containing viruses or malware. Users who searched ‘Alexis Bledel’, one of the stars of “Gilmore Girls” and “Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants”, were most likely to land on a dangerous website.
This is the 13th year that McAfee has put together this list with the understanding that many users don’t realize that simple internet searches of their favorite celebrities could potentially lead to malicious content, as cybercriminals often leverage these popular searches to entice users to click on dangerous links. This year’s study emphasizes that today’s streaming culture doesn’t exactly protect users from cybercriminals. For example, Alexis Bledel and Sophie Turner are strongly associated with searches including the term “torrent,” indicating that many fans of their shows have been pursuing free options to avoid subscription fees. However, users must understand that torrent or pirated downloads can open themselves up to an abundance of cyberthreats. This can lead to compromised computers and access to important personal information that can then be used to do everything from identity theft to theft of bank accounts.
So with your Cyber Security in mind here are a list of names to have caution when searching online.
- Alexis Bledel
- James Corden
- Sophie Turner
- Anna Kendrick
- Lupita Nyong’o
- Jimmy Fallon
- Jackie Chan
- Lil’ Wayne
- Nicki Minaj
- Tessa Thompson
Tips to Help You Stay Safe Online McAfee offers these tips:
- Be careful what you click. Users looking for a sneak-peek of Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker starring Lupita Nyong’o should be cautious and only stream and download directly from a reliable source. The safest thing to do is to wait for the official release instead of visiting a third-party website that could contain malware.
- Refrain from using illegal streaming sites. When it comes to dangerous online behavior, using illegal streaming sites is the equivalent of spreading the Mad King’s wildfire to your device. Many illegal streaming sites are riddled with malware or adware disguised as pirated video files. Do yourself a favor and stream the show from a reputable source.
- Protect your online realm with a cybersecurity solution. Send your regards to malicious actors with a comprehensive security solution like McAfee Total Protection. This can help protect you from malware, phishing attacks, and other threats.
- Use a Web Reputation tool. Using a Web reputation tool such as freely available McAfee WebAdvisor alerts users when they are about to go to a malicious website.
- Use parental control software. Kids are fans of celebrities too, so ensure that limits are set for your child on the devices they use and use parental control software to help minimize exposure to potentially malicious or inappropriate websites.
If you would like more information on this list and how/why it was put together you can see the blog post from Gary Davis, also follow @McAfee_Home on Twitter for online safety tips, and use the hashtag #RiskyCeleb to discuss the Most Dangerous Celebrities of 2019.
Whether you choose to use McAfee or another cyber security product, we hope you have a safe browsing experience.