As predicted, with the temperatures forecast, Environment Canada has issued a Heat Warning for Today and Tomorrow advising caution with the heatwave coming to almost the entirety of Southern Ontario, including the Brantford and Brant-County area.
The warning reads;
Significant heat and humidity will arrive today.
Daytime temperatures in the low to mid thirties with humidex values of 40 or higher are expected today and again on Saturday. Little relief is expected tonight and Saturday night as temperatures will only fall to the low to mid twenties with humidex values remaining near 30.
A cooler and less humid air mass is forecast to arrive in the wake of a weak cold front Sunday.
Extreme heat affects everyone.
The risks are greater for young children, pregnant women, older adults, people with chronic illnesses and people working or exercising outdoors.
Never leave people or pets inside a parked vehicle.
There are several ways this kind of heat can cause illness; especially in those who have to work or spend the day outside, including;
You can find more information and ways to prevent heat related illness at ontario.ca
Please note the following locations are available to help stay cool while the heat warning is in effect:
City Facilities with Air Conditioning
- Bell Homestead National Historic Site (94 Tutela Heights) 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre (254 North Park Street) Monday to Friday: 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., Saturday and Sunday: 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Brantford Public Libraries – 173 Colborne St. and 441 St. Paul Avenue. Check brantford.library.on.ca for hours of operation.
Earl Haig Family Fun Park (100 Market St. S)
- Open Daily 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (pool closes at 8:00 p.m.)
Admission rates apply, visit brantford.ca/earlhaig for details
Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre (254 North Park Street)
- Public Swims: Friday 1:30-3:30 p.m., Thursday and Friday 7:00-8:30 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday 2:00-4:00 p.m.
- Family Swims: Friday 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. And 3:30-4:30 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday 12:30-2:30 p.m. (child must be accompanied by an adult in the water, waterslide and diving boards closed)
Admission rates apply, visit waynegretzkysportscentre.ca for details
Woodman Park Pool (491 Grey Street)
- Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday – 1:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Friday – 1:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Admission rates apply, visit brantford.ca/woodmanparkpool for details
Splash Pads in Brantford
- Bridle Park Path (55 Palomino Drive) open 10:00 a.m. to dusk
- Harmony Square (89 Dalhousie St.) open 10:00 a.m. to dusk
- Mohawk Park Sprinklemania (51 Lynwood Drive) open 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
For more information regarding how to stay safe during a heat wave, please visit http://brantford.ca/extremeweather.
Image and Heat Warning from Environment Canada.