Health Canada has issued a recall of certain hand sanitizers over a concern they might have industrial grade ethanol in them. Such an addition is not authorized for use in hand sanitizer and could pose a risk of dry skin, irritation, or skin-cracking.
The following have been recalled:
- Eltraderm Limited – Eltraderm Hand Sanitizer – 70 % Ethyl Alcohol with an expiry date of April 2022
- Contract Packaging Distributions Inc. – Hand Sanitizer with an expiry date of April 2022
- Nature’s Own Cosmetic Company Inc. – Gel 700 Hand Sanitizer with an expiry date of May 2022
- Sanilabs Inc. – Sanilabs Hand Sanitizer 70% Ethanol with an expiry date of April 20 or 28, 2022
- Walker Emulsions Ltd. – Walker Emulsions Hand Sanitizer
- Walker Emulsions Ltd. – Hand Sanitizer Désinfectant pour les mains
For full details see the recall notice here.
What to do?
If you have one of the affected products you are advised to stop using it immediately and return it to your local pharmacy for proper disposal and contact your health professional if you have any health concerns.
Information from: healthycanadians.gc.ca