Brantford Power is letting the public know that some of their customers have reported receiving fraudulent telephone calls regarding an overdue account with the caller claiming to be from Brantford Power.
There have also been reports of scammers calling people and claiming that they need to complete an inspection of equipment in their home (furnace, air conditioning, etc.) to determine efficiency options and possible rebates. The caller also states that they will require a copy of the homeowner’s “hydro bill”.
Neither of these are legitimate and Brantford Power customers were told to be aware of these current scams by the companies Twitter feed.
Unfortunately, sophisticated scams targeting customers are an ongoing concern for utilities across Ontario and these continue to happen throughout the province.
Fortunately Brantford Power supplies a list of helpful tips in spotting a power company scam:
- Brantford Power does not contact customers after hours by telephone regarding the status of their account. We provide written notice of any past due accounts.
- Brantford Power will never threaten immediate disconnection for non-payment.
- Brantford Power will not ask you for your account number.
- Do not provide callers or people who come to your door with any personal information, a copy of your Brantford Power bill or details about your account.
- Do not respond to phone calls requesting a call back regarding your account. Instead, call Brantford Power directly at 519-751-3522 to confirm the status of your account.
- Do not let strangers in your home who claim to need to inspect equipment or assess energy efficiency rebates.
If you have been contacted by any of these scams please report the incident to the Brantford Police Department at 519-756-0113 and the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or www.antifraudcentre.ca.
If you feel you are threatened by a scam artist at your front door then you are encouraged to contact the police immediately at the above number. If you feel you are in immediate danger please call 9-1-1.
Information from BrantfordPower.com